Horse Registration & Movement Records

Horse Registration & Movement Records”?

Hey Horse Trackers! Happy New Year! It’s been a solid 6 months since the new laws/regulations came out in July 1, 2016 mandating equestrians track their?horse movements (think waybill) and register to become an “RBE” (Registrable Bio-security Entity) that is attached to a PIC (Property Identification Code). Too much already? I know!

There hasn’t been a lot of coverage on this change and their sure is a lot of confusion within the horsing community. The major reason for the new laws are to have traceability?in the?case of a disease outbreak or contamination. Apparently the hope is that there ?will be “a robust traceability system” in place if we adhere to the regulations/comply with the laws.

Let me outline the most important points:?

The Bio-security Act 2014 started in 2016 states that your obligations as a horse owner are as follows:

  1. If you own one or more horses you must register as an RBE (If you have a PIC, you are auto registered).?”When you register, you will be allocated a property identification code (PIC). This PIC corresponds to the land where you keep your horse. PICs are not owned by the landowner they are allocated to land.”
  2. Every time a horse (or other animal as per the site) moves off a property, a movement record must be made (items required on the record include:?name of the person completing the record, where the horses/s are being moved from, where the horses/s are being moved to and the name and address of the person receiving the horse/s, the date of movement?description of horse).
  3. If you receive a horse/s, you must have a copy or make your own record, organizers of events must keep records of all horses that attend (this should include:?date of the event, name and address of the person who kept the animal before the event and of the person keeping the animal after the event, where the animal/s came from,when the animal/s arrived and left the event, description of animal/sfor sheep, goats, pigs, alpacas and llamas that are not fitted with an electronic approved device the event organiser must record the PIC shown on the device of the animal).

There are other details concerning cattle tick managment, crossing tick lines and other animals which are also required to be traced.

Basically we are being advised we have a ?general biosecurity obligation. ?We as horse owners need to take an active role in managing our biosecurity risks and ensuring that our activities?do not spread pests or diseases.

Here’s the application form to register to be an RBE, if you haven’t already. If you are having issues, please send me a message at and I will try to assist with the process, I know I was confused initially! Just in case you are worried, there is no cost involved in becoming an RBE if you are just a horse owner for non commercial purposes.

You can find more info on the following links:

Or you can call 13 25 23?

There are a number of app’s available on Android & iPhone that can assist with tracking your movements. Try ours “Horse Tracks” if you want an app that will evolve over time to encompass all of your horse needs.

Links below:

If you have any questions or suggestions please get in touch – or ask on our Facebook page:?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *